In My Kitchen – April 2015

Just an oh-so-quick peep into my kitchen this month. I’m sitting down and having my final cup of tea before we all head off to the airport. My daughter is going on an IB English literary trip to UK and France for 11 days and the rest of us are taking the opportunity to visit San Francisco during the Easter school holidays. Spring is in the air and our temperatures are mostly about zero degrees now, however, there is a nasty chinook wind blowing which is giving me a nasty pressure headache. One of the pleasures of living in Calgary is multiple atmospheric pressure changes due to the ever changing climate in a city near large mountains. I’m not the only one who gets these headaches and I’m very lucky that it only puts me in a horrible mood and not in bed for the day like some fellow sufferers. I’m a bit concerned about taking off with such a gale blowing and I’m hoping for a smooth take off for all of us today.

A local distillery, Eau Claire Distillery has released a special Spring spirit, ‘Spring Equinox’. It’s a lovely beverage featuring prickly pear cactus and other spring flavours. I had hubby stop by our local bottle shop and pick one up for me the very day it was bottled and shipped.

springequinox

I did a bit of experimentation with a new flavour. Tonka bean is similar to vanilla bean, but not exactly. I ground some up and used some in hubby’s 40th Birthday Root Beer cake.
006I went to SAIT Culinary Campus  for the Catelli Western Canadian premier of Healthy Harvest Ancient Grains pasta and brought home lots of swag. I was pleasantly surprised that the texture and flavour of the cooked pasta were pleasing and not like any other ‘alternative’ pastas I’ve tried in the past.
healthyharvestI was asked to take part in featuring Easter recipes from Ricardocuisine. Ricardo is a Canadian Chef/TV food personality with his own show and products. He most recently has launched a great magazine, Ricardo, of which I have already enjoyed reading three issues. This Pickled Egg & Beet Spinach Salad was so delicious!
107
Not really IN my kitchen but in SOMEONE’S kitchen at least…I met some Canadian celebrity chefs this month. Chef Lynn Crawford was at SAIT Culinary Campus to do the Catelli launch. Chef Lynn is hilarious and kept us giggling all night. She owns Ruby Watchco in Toronto, judges periodically on Chopped Canada, and has her own show on Food Network Canada called Pitchin’ IncheflynnThe other celebrity chef I met this month was Chef René Rodriquez, winner of Top Chef Canada’s fourth and final season. His popular Ottawa restaurant Navarra is a reflection of his travels and journeys to Mexico City, Oaxaca, Latin America and Spain. Chef René was at Jerome’s Appliance Gallery as part of the GE Monogram Canada wide Top Chef Canada tour.
johnmereneWhew, it was actually quite a busy month! Thank you so much to Celia of Fig Jam and Lime Cordial for hosting In My Kitchen every month. I do really enjoy this little peek into what is going on in other blogger’s kitchens. Until next month…

16 comments

1. fergie51

That salad looks amazing. Hope you enjoyed and had a safe trip!

2. Liz @ spades, spatulas, and spoons

You will be just around the corner from me in San Francisco, have a lovely time! It is a heavenly city for a foodie. Email me if I can be of help.

3. thesnowwoman

Hello there fellow Canadian. Wow you met Lynn Crawford! Very exciting.

1. dishnthekitchen

yes! It was a fun evening for sure 🙂 She’s pretty hilarious!

4. Joanne T Ferguson

The beetroot salad caught my eye right away and hope you enjoy your time in the States! Safe trip and thanks for this month’s kitchen view too!

5. Kavey

I’ve eaten tonka beans in chocolates etc. before but never bought any and used them myself. Very curious to try, now!
    Kavey (fellow IMKer)

1. dishnthekitchen

I think you can use them in any recipe that calls for vanilla. I just ground them up using an old coffee grinder I use for whole spices and they were fine.

6. Ania @ Milk, Toast and Honey

I love the pink colouring on the eggs! Hope you had a fantastic trip!

1. dishnthekitchen

thanks!
      And I sure did…trying to get caught up on everything is so difficult! Travel posts to come…

7. Beck @ Goldenpudding

I’m fascinated by that liqueur and the tonka beans Bernice! Where do the beans come from? I also love the look of that salad – clever idea to infuse the eggs in the beetroot juice…

1. dishnthekitchen

Hmmm, that’s a great question. I’m not sure. Wikipedia says South America. They are used as a vanilla substitute and in pipe tobacco.

8. sherry from sherrys pickings

that spring equinox looks amazing. mm yes that salad looks tasty. hope you had a great trip.

1. dishnthekitchen

We had an amazing trip! It is literally a foodie’s paradise

9. Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial

Ooh look at you, mingling with the celebrities! Lovely photos, Bernie! Tonka beans are really interesting, aren’t they – I’m not sure I love them. And I’m sorry to hear about the pressure headaches – they don’t sound like fun.. x

10. Callista

This all looks so wonderful! Your photos are very lovely! And lucky to meet all of those great chef’s too! I think Lynn would be a great person to meet! I love her personality on TV!

1. dishnthekitchen

She was pretty awesome! BTW how do I follow your blog Callista?

Hey! I'd love to hear your thoughts...