Sangria on a Sunny Deck
I had my first taste of sangria last year on Canada day. It was a tough day because my dachshund, Louis, had run away the night before and was spending the holiday in the slammer at Calgary Animal Services. The sangria definitely helped and I was slightly consoled with the knowledge that he was safe. Perhaps if everything had been ‘business as usual’ I would have gushed over the sangria and asked for the recipe.
I had no further thoughts of sangria until I picked up this beautiful hand made in Poland glass pitcher at Homesense. When I saw it on the shelf in the store I knew it would be perfect for all our patio-sized summer cocktails. First up…sangria!Last night was the perfect night to sip sangria on our sunny deck and I was really excited to have some company to share it with. My little sister was passing through on her way to a Washington music festival and I knew we’d only have a couple of hours to visit…I had to make it count! I love her free spirit and am always amazed at her ‘mature beyond her years’ attitude. She’s always someone I can count on for advice when things get overwhelming. I only wish that she lived closer to me.
Sangria is bound to become my patio drink of choice this summer. How fortuitous is it that I revisited this tasty summer drink right at the beginning of patio season? Let me know when you’re coming over and I’ll mix up a pitcher full…
Yep, those are my toes!
Berry Rosé Sangria
Berry Rosé Sangria
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup creme de cassis
- 1 1/2 cups mixed berries (I used blueberries and strawberries)
- 1 (750 ml) bottle chilled dry rosé (I used a 2011 Charles Melton Rose of Virginia Rosé from the Barossa Valley. I probably didn't need to get that fancy)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Add sugar and water together in a small pan.
- Bring up to a gentle simmer until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add the creme de cassis and berries.
- Let cool until room temperature then add to pitcher.
- Add chilled wine and lemon juice and cover.
- Chill until you are ready to serve. Enjoy!