It’s a cold, wet, rainy Sunday and I couldn’t think of anything better to make for lunch than this roasted asparagus soup. Last weekend was such a hot busy blur that it feels so good to just stay home and listen to the rain fall while re-watching Game of Thrones season 5. The season 6 premier is tonight and we are all just killing time until showtime. It’s not that difficult for the kids because they have finals to study for, but I am too excited to do anything at all. Cooking this soup really helped calm me down and the extra bonus is that I get to share it with you!
I had just under a kilogram of fresh Okanagan asparagus that my sister brought me last weekend, just waiting in the fridge to be used up. I’m really so jealous because she says it just grows wild in the ditches there…I think she must live in the promised land or something. Since the asparagus was on a ‘need to be used’ alert I decided the best way to eat it was all at once, in a soup.
I’ve been roasting asparagus for about 15 years now. My experiences with this vegetable had previously been quite grim so I had avoided cooking it in the most common way… by steaming. Then one spring we visited my hubby’s grandparents and his grandma showed me how she roasted her asparagus. I was hooked. Now I look forward to spring asparagus season every year.
Roasting asparagus couldn’t be an easier. Just wash the stalks in a sink filled with cold water and drain. Splash olive oil over top and season well with salt and pepper. Spread the stalks in a single layer on a parchment lined baking tray and roast at 450 F for 12 minutes. For this soup I threw a couple of garlic cloves in with the asparagus. They don’t get fully roasted and caramelized, but they do soften in texture and flavour. It takes a while to blend the soup in batches, but the end result is so worth it!
Roasted Asparagus and Garlic Soup
- 2 lbs (900 g) fresh asparagus
- 2 garlic cloves
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Preheat oven to 450 F
- Wash and drain asparagus well.
- Drizzle asparagus and garlic with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange asparagus and garlic in a single layer on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Roast in oven for 12 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly. Peel garlic.
- Place 1/3 asparagus stalks and one garlic in blender with 1 cup chicken stock. Blend until smooth.
- Repeat with rest of asparagus and chicken stock. You will need to add some of this blended soup back into the blender to add the final cup of chicken stock.
- Warm soup up in a pot on the stove over medium heat it until it reaches your desired temperature. Do not over boil.